Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Chaos1 by Swiss sculptor, Jean Tinguely






Oh, how I love this sculpture.... let me count the ways.
I freakin' LOVE this thing. It's so textural and strong and alive! The massive work towers near the main entrance of the Commons Mall. It was made the year I was born, 1974. Its mechanical, complex, aesthetic and kinetic presence is magical at a stand still, but the parts whirr and twist, one part then another, slowly... you must have patience. Don't expect it to all take off every hour on the hour. It's called chaos for a reason. I waited a long time, hoping to see on of the balls catch onto the chain that sets it up for a great spinning, turning, rolling fall back into line for another ride, but it didn't happen while I waited. Maybe next time. The locals say that throwing coins in the water below may persuade it to show off, but it showed us no favors that day.
more info

1 Comments:

At 8:32 AM, Blogger Brunhilda said...

They tore the mall down :( I think they saved the scuplture, though. Thanks for visiting my little old hometown. It's neat to see it through fresh eyes!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home